Sunday, June 7, 2009

30 Weeks!

The baby is now 3/4 of the way cooked, and I am hoping August will be here before I know it. It has been a difficult week. On Monday I found out that I have gestational diabetes. My doctor referred me to a specialist, and Ryan and I spent 2 hours on Thursday talking with her and the nurse. For those of you who do not know, gestational diabetes is just like diabetes but it occurs during pregnancy. With all of the changes going on ,the body is not able to produce enough insulin, and with this there is a risk that the baby can grow too large or even worse. The good news is that typically it goes away immediately after the baby is born. What this means for me is no sweets or chocolate, and I really have to watch my carbs. This is particularly difficult for me as my favorite foods are pasta, potatoes, and chocolate. At this point I am testing my blood sugar 4 times per day, and am hoping to be able to control my levels with diet and not have to take insulin. I think in the long run everything will be alright (I only have 2 months to go) but initially it has been very challenging and frustrating. I am having to spend a lot more time planning out all of my meals and snacks. I find that I am often still hungry after meals, but do not know what else I am allowed to eat. I am not sure how I am going to make it through the whole summer without ice cream, but I just want to make sure that the baby stays healthy. The good thing about all of this is that we got to have an extra ultrasound this week, and the doctor says the baby looks perfect. The only concern was that there is an increased amount of amniotic fluid, which occurs when glucose levels have been too high. The doctor told us that the baby weights 3lbs 11oz! If anyone has any knowledge about gestational diabetes that they would be willing to share, I would love to hear it.



Bonus of the week, our chair came in for the nursery!!! I am so excited about it, that I am sitting in it right now to type my blog. The rest of the furniture should be here in the next week or so. Ryan and I are so excited to get everything set up!

1 comment:

  1. anna - i am so sorry to hear that you found out you have gestational diabetes! i was so worried about that when i failed my first glucose test. i don't know about you, but the first time i drank the sugary stuff i didn't think it was too bad. but that second test was really disgusting and then staying at the doctor's office for 3 hours....bleck! thankfully i did pass my second test, but i remember being so worried about it. i'll be thinking and praying for you - that you can get your diet figured out AND feel full (and of course for a healthy baby)! :)

    ReplyDelete